Thursday 5 February 2015

COP 03 : Possible Articles : Fashion weeks: all the glitz reminds me why I prefer style to fashion by Invisible Woman_

Whoosh! What was that? Oh, that was London fashion week, that was. And before that it was New York. But now it's Milan and then it's Paris's turn to be glitter-dusted by the fashion week travelling circus. In the two weeks since London put away the fancy dress, dreams and props – and totted up the order book – they have already moved on to the next lot, which is to say autumn and winter 2014.

Such is the mayfly nature of fashion and yet, for all its silliness and superficiality, it remains a huge money spinner for the UK, generating stupid amounts of dosh (trillions annually) to be recycled through the merely temporary bolted on to the impossible. Aspirational – yes, some of it. A work of art – yes, some of it. Beautiful – yes, some of it. Stylish – ah, well, now you're asking. It's interesting, this question of fashion (around for millennia) v style (also around for millennia). Without getting bogged down in semantics, I often wonder which came first or if this is another of those "chicken and egg" things I will never satisfactorily unpick.

I'm presently of the opinion that style is the catalyst to fashion. The first woman to wear a bifurcated hennin was attempting a new style. When all her friends stopped laughing their garters off and started wearing it themselves, that's when it became fashion. Likewise, the first punk to wear a T-shirt held together with safety pins, which regrettably generated the Versace frock responsible for catapulting Liz Hurley into the public eye. Some you win and some you lose: a thing that started out as "street", sustainable, recyclable and accessible gets picked up by a designer who adds a bit of je ne sais quoi and a four-figure price tag and reincarnates it as a fashion item but bearing little relation to what it started out as.

During "#LFW", Vivienne Westwood (whose own career had quite a lot to do with safety pins in its early stages) came out with: "Buy less. Choose well. Make it last. Quality, not quantity …" I agree. It's a pity she added: "I think that poor people should be even more careful", because what that shows is that she's lost touch. Small income equals small choice, Dame Viv, but apparently you've forgotten that.

Not that I begrudge Westwood's success because the cut of her collections is unusual and beautiful, the fabric and manufacture is robust and the clothes are designed for women … women with hips and knockers. My newest Westwood piece is six years old. Break that down into price per wear and it looks like a more sensible purchase, assuming I didn't spend the rent money on it in the first place. My personal style, as opposed to everyone else's fashion, evolves from what survives in my wardrobe; that is, the pieces that sang to me from a clothes rail or a website and most accurately reflect who I am. Very few of them are what might be described as "in your face". Many of them are in excess of 20 years old.

So, to return to fashion week … I don't "do" it. That is to say that I'm not interested in seeing or being seen and all the shows are available live on video to watch happily from my desk in any case. I'm interested in fashion only insofar as there are bits of it I might want to incorporate into my personal style. I like it for its ideas.

One idea I like is sustainable, responsible fashion and one company that popped up on my radar in that regard is Eileen Fisher, a US company making inroads into Europe and the UK. It interests me not just because of its well-made, ethically sourced, washable and eminently wearable clothes but because it is so active in recycling, repairing and up-cycling its own stuff, its mission is to keep as much as possible out of landfill and put whatever money the various schemes generate back into supporting women's initiatives and generally making life better. The pieces come with a healthy price tag but then I wouldn't want them to be cheap either. These are investment pieces. The only invitation I accepted this fashion week was to a preview of its spring/summer 2014 range and I loved it, all of it. 
And I didn't love it just because they gave me a cactus to take home in my goody bag – what do you take me for?

I have one question, and it's the usual thing: why, when the biggest purchasers of this range are the 45+ age group (and you have a range labelled "Plus"), do you show your clothes on whip-thin post-pubescent models? This is a question I shall keep asking because, to my eyes, the whole Identikit model thing is beginning to look a long way out of touch with what people actually want. 

But then I suppose that's what differentiates fashion from that other thing – style.

http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/fashion-blog/2013/sep/25/fashion-shows-prefer-style-to-fashion

No comments:

Post a Comment