Wednesday 7 May 2014

OUGD501 - COP02 - END OF MODULE EVALUATION



BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL
05
 Module Code 
OUGD501               


 Module Title
Context of Practice






END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME

Jasper Lee


1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

Over this module I have developed some existing skills as well as learn some new ones. The skills I have developed are my ability to research, the best way to approach researching and how to do it so that you finish with valuable information. I have applied this by writing a thorough essay investigating the power and value of advertising.

Another skill I have also improved on is my academic writing. Although it has previously been one of my stronger skills, I have learnt how to use triangulation. Triangulation allows me to support or disagree with a point through multiple sources and evidence, making the point well informed and researched. This has again been applied in the writing of my essay. Where possible I have tried to use at least three sources per point made. This is something I still think can be improved on in COP3.


2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

As well as the academic writing side of the project I have learnt and improved some of my practical skills as well. I have learned how to set up a InDesign document so that it can be printed and then perfect bound. I have also learned how to perfect bind, something I did not know how to do before.

Both of these approaches have been applied in the design and production of my practical work. They informed my design as the outcome of a perfect bound ‘magazine’ determined how the content should be laid out.




3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I think my strengths lie in my academic writing. I think the way I right is good and I enjoy it once I have found a topic that really engages me.

I have capitalised on this by engaging with my essay and finding relevant sources to support/disagree with the points I was making.

This can be capitalised on in the future by choosing a topic I am really engaged in for COP3. This makes it a much easier and more enjoyable module. This can also be capitalised on and taken into my practical work. Really getting into it and engaging more, whilst trying to create a greater synergy between the written and practical.








4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

My weakness in this module is my practical work. This is my weakest element for a couple of reasons. My time management was not as well organised with the practical. I would have liked to have spent more time on the practical element, making the finished product more professional. I would have done this by using a more magazine style stock, double sided gloss. I would have also liked to have perfected perfect binding before I needed to use it, however this will be good practice for any further work using said binding method.

The other weakness is the synergy between essay and practical. Although there is a lot more synergy in COP2 than there was in COP1, I still think it could be improved



5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

The five things that I will do differently next time are;

1.     Time management; I want to give myself more time on the practical side of the module so that both elements are as strong as then can possibly be. From this I will gain a more balance project and improve my practical skills.
2.     Synergy; I want to produce 2 pieces of work that work completely together. Where as there is a link between the two elements of the module this time I want to produce work that goes hand in hand for COP3.
3.     Finishing; I still want to produce work to a much higher finish that what I currently am. At the moment I think I am letting myself down with the lack of professional finish in my work. This is also linked to my time management, and with the improvement of this should come the improvement of my finishing.
4.     Further research (practical); As it was a subject area I have an interest in the academic writing had much more thorough research. Although the essay informs the practice I would have liked to do further research into the practical side of the module.
5.     Development (practical); Similarly to the research I would have like to have done more thorough and investigative development work on the practical side of the module. This would have improved the synergy and given a more rounded and considered outcome.


6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance



X

Punctuality



X

Motivation


X


Commitment


X


Quantity of work produced


X


Quality of work produced



X

Contribution to the group




X
The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment