Saturday 6 October 2012

Alphabet Soup - Visual Research

As part of my research into producing a ‘compact’ typeface, I looked into existing typefaces and letter forms that could be seen as ‘compact’.


The first three are done by different unknown designers. I looked at these fonts and types faces as they have similar qualities to that which I identified as ‘compact’ and they also have similar ideas and elements that I wanted to emulate in my typeface.







This is part of a flyer promoting a night called ‘STATUS’ at Chilli White in Leeds. The letter shapes and font style is fairly compact, especially the S and the U. These letters are dense, simple, short and thick, qualities I wanted in my typeface.



The next image was taken during a studio workshop and shows a selection of fairly compact letter forms. The letter forms are very simplistic and fairly dense, appearing compact.





The final image is two entire alphabets as well as symbols and numbers in a style that appears fairly compact. Produced by Gaslight Type Foundry, it is simple, dense, basic, short and thick, again qualities I identified as being ‘compact’.



No comments:

Post a Comment